The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Brilliantly written, incredible story, the characters are deep and delightful. It is a meaningful and important book. Above all, the voices in the book are phenomenal and I love the careful (and not overdone) description of each of the women. I couldn't help but speak in a Southern accent every time I put the book down. I absolutely loved it.
Really intriguing plots, page-turners, great novels. I have to say that the writing is a little over-dramatized and juvenile and it annoys me when writers give 16-year-olds the emotional capacity and maturity of a 45-year-olds. However, I think it is completely recommendable and will most likely buy the third book as soon as it hits shelves.
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
I've read this book a few times but haven't reviewed it yet. This is an incredible book. Many times I'd read a line and put the book down to think about it for a quarter of an hour. It is unbelievable the places that C.S. Lewis had to mentally go in order to make this story work. The best part of this book is that though it is written of darkness and evil, it inspires thought, understanding and light. Fabulous... one of my favorites. 
1 comment:
Gah! I love this! I agree with your "The Help" assessment. Did you know they're making a movie out of it? I'm a little disappointed in their casting choices. They chose foxy young stars to play the people who are supposed to be middle-aged or older. I hate it when they do that. I'll probably still go see it though. I really liked "Hunger Games," though I thought "Catching Fire" was only subpar. Regardless, I've already pre-ordered book 3 on Amazon. And, of course, good old Clive is always a treat. What's next on your list?
Post a Comment