Monday, January 9, 2012

Travel plans.

I'm feeling it. The itch to leave. I'm not a big traveller by nature but I am someone that likes things to look forward to and I can always use a little more adventure in my life. My job being the way that it is makes it so I can take time off without problem and can basically leave at any time, which makes things really great for finding the best deals and taking advantage of them.

Last year, I had a goal of not leaving the country, which may sound strange but 2010 was a crazy travel year for me and if I wasn't on some airplane going to some foreign country then I was probably on some airplane coming home from some foreign country. I saved my pennies in 2011 and went to Hawaii but used the rest of my extra cash to get Lasik, which turned out to be awesome. But not it is 2012 and I am ready to get out again. Help me choose, will you?

Option A: Australia

Pros: My friends Emily and Matt Thomas just moved here and they would put us up and show us around. When else will I know people in Australia? They're moving to Sydney and my friend Randi would probably come with me. Maybe I could make a stop in New Zealand to see my Grandma's home, though I'd rather just go to New Zealand with her so she could show me around.

Cons: So dang expensive to get down there! It would probably be the most expensive of all of these trips I have in my brain. I'm not sure if I would love it as much as I would love the other options. I'm sure it'd be fun and exciting but I am looking for what my grandpa calls a "soul satisfying" experience. Also I'd for sure have to wait until after June because Randi is a teacher and could only go during the summer.

Option B: Germany and Switzerland

Pros: I'd get to see Erica and Brad Holland and their three beautiful girls. They live in Baumholder where Brad is stationed with the army. Erica and I became fast and close friends on our study abroad in the British Isles and she's been in Germany for the last 5 years. I've seen her a little here and there when she's come back to the states but I'd love to visit her. Plus out of all my friend's husbands, Brad is one of the coolest. They are moving back to the states at the end of the summer so the time to visit would probably be this spring or early summer.



I also have Swiss heritage and my Grandpa served his mission in Switzerland so I'd love to see it. I hear it is absolutely beautiful.

Cons: This is a trip I'd likely make alone and I hate travelling by myself. I really hate it. I have some friends that would maybe meet up with me in Switzerland but getting there would be solo. I also hear Switzerland is pretty dang expensive. I would only really be able to do these two countries because of time, which means going all the way to Europe without seeing Italy again. So sad. Brad and Erica and the girls will be moving back soon so I can see them for much cheaper in the states. I wouldn't know the country or the language which isn't a deal-breaker in any way but adds some stress and extra planning. 

Option C: London


Pros: I love this city. I love everything about it. This is one place in Europe I could live happily. I spent a good deal of time in London when I went on a study abroad in 2005 and haven't been back since but I still know this city and really connected with it. I am a creature of comfort and like going back to places that are familiar. One of the reasons I don't love travel is because I don't like to feel like I'm without my bearings. There is so much to see in London and in the country-side around London. I could take a day trip up to Scotland, which I also would love to see again. I could see some shows on London Broadway, go to free museums, stay in beautiful hostels and read in the rose gardens. It would be a great balance of adventure and relaxation. Plus the Olympics are going to be there this summer. I have some friends that would make this trip with me (Jenny, Aubri, Dani, a few others possibly).


Cons: I've been here, I've seen it. Should I spend that much money getting to a place I've already experienced? Again, I'd be going to Europe and wouldn't be seeing Italy or other places I'd like to see. Is it worth the expense? I probably would spend most of my time in the city when what I really love is the country-side but I wouldn't have the time or the resources to travel to the remote places I love so much. I'm also slightly afraid that I have idealized London and have connected much of my love for the city with my love for the people that I experienced it with. I wish I could just re-do my entire study abroad.


Okay people, which should I choose? I need your advice. 

9 comments:

Brad and Erica said...

Well, you know where my vote would be! We would love to see you! However, just for informational purposes - we're definitely out of here by July 1st, and likely won't have our van in June. But also for informational purposes, the train system is great (though a bit expensive) and Paris is easily a day or two day trip from our house by train. We don't have the cash to go to Switzerland with you, but we could definitely help you find places to stay and how to get around (we've been to Switzerland 4 almost 5 times now) and I could take you on some daytrips to visit the castles on the Rhine. I know your dilemma. Brad and I were trying to pick our last (gasp!) vacation spots before we leave Europe. We've settled a trip sans-kids to Norway. I'm pretty excited to see the fjords, but kind of panic when I think of all the places we haven't seen. Good luck!

Andrea Mouritsen said...

I've never been to Australia or New Zealand and I'm sure it would be incredible. So I can't speak to that. However, I have been to London, Germany and Switzerland twice. I would def. put London in 3rd place. Switzerland is without a doubt the most gorgeous place I have ever been. It is completely indescribable. I would love to go again someday with my husband. It's just A.MAZ.ING.

You are right about it being expensive. I spent a lot on food and activities there. But it's worth it.

I think all of Switzerland is pretty fantastic. However, if you go you MUST spend a little time in Interlaken and ride up the Jungfrau. The train stops at all the little towns in the Alps and you can get on and off as you wish. It's an all day affair to sight see and hop on and off of the train until you make it to the "top of Europe".

Interlaken is also a great place for adventure seekers. You can paraglide off the side of the Alps, hike the glaciers, go mountaineering, etc.

Germany is also incredible. I have not spent as much time there but the time I did spend was pretty amazing.

So, I vote Switzerland/Germany. :)

Ty and Meg said...

I want to go to New Zealand so much. I know that was not one of your options - but I say if you are going to Australia you should scrap that and just go to NZ.

But - out of what you listed I would agree with everything Andrea said. Switzerland is so amazing. Crazy expensive yes, but amazing. I was okay to spend tons of money doing awesome things, it was mostly the $35 hamburgers that got me. :) I also fell in love with Germany. I did not even want to go there and I am so glad we did. We went to Munich and Bavaria and some surrounding places and it was so beautiful and fun.

I so wish I could come with you -wherever you decide to go!

christan said...

Option C - Peru and I'll go with you

Heidi Jones said...

Um....remember how your mother is fluent in German? Me neither.....but, Switzerland and Germany are two of her favorite places.....last time she was there was 28 years ago...she was pregnant with you! I vote you go with her again...and this time you both will enjoy it more than last time. FYI..... She is completely free the end of June.....and it IS her birthday after all.

Melissa said...

And why isn't South Bend on that list, may I ask? :)

I say not London since you've been there before - plus it will be insane there with the Olympics going on this Summer (unless you want to go see the Olympics there?) Switzerland, I think, matches your personality more than Australia. Having said that, I think I would choose Australia if I had to choose between those three. So, in the end, I suppose you can't go wrong.

Melissa said...

PS- If you and Christan go to Peru (or anywhere) together, I'M COMING TOO.

Molly said...

I'll only let you go on a trip if you buy me a ticket too. Otherwise, you're grounded. ;)

Emily said...

i vote germany! also, i want your dilemmas :O)