Friday, March 6, 2015

Nevertheless, at thy word I will let down the net.

Two scripture stories have really touched me today and have given me hope. The message of these two stories is to keep trying, keep hoping, keep believing.

Luke 5:3-7

3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon’s, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.


Christ is sitting in Peter’s ship on the water and Peter has a chance to hear the Master teach. He feels the Master’s influence. He recognizes the Master’s divinity.

4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught. 5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing…


So Christ finishes speaking and goes to Peter and gently tells him to get back to work. Imagine Peter’s situation. He’s been on the water all night long. His back his sore his arms are tired, his hand and fingers are bruised and cut. The thought of going out again is misery, especially since all night long, he did not catch a SINGLE FISH. I can imagine the imploring in his voice when he objects to the Savior’s request to go out and try again. How do you think Peter feels? I have felt as Peter has felt... feeling like I don't have any more energy to keep trying, to keep hoping. Peter is exhausted, as am I. And yet...


4 continues…Nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.


Peter just heard Christ speak. He recognized His divinity. He knows that this man is beyond wise… He is beyond good. And so Peter trusts. He says, “nevertheless”- Despite my aches and pains. Even though the sea rejected me all night long. At thy word I will let down the net. If you say I should, I will keep trying. I won’t give up. I’ll go try again. I will trust you with action and with faith. I know who you are, I know what you can do, I will trust your counsel.  Relate this to dating. What do you think this has to do with rejection? Break ups? Relationship woes? Forgiveness? Continuing to go out again and again even when you’re not having success? Not giving up on yourself even if you don’t date much? Trying to overcome your fears about dating or marriage? So many people struggle in so many ways in this regard, and I am among them. But it is a matter of trusting the master and trusting that if He asks you to keep trying, there is a reason. 

6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake. 7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.

And what happens? What kind of miraculous success occurs after so much failure?
Think about Peter’s face. Think about the condition of Peter’s heart in this moment. How would he be feeling? What would he be thinking?

Thinking to myself about current struggles. Do you have room in your boat for all the blessings the Lord is prepared to give you when you have faith in him? Now… important point- does this net breaking equal perfect success in dating? Perhaps not. Maybe this doesn’t mean you’ll get married your next try. But what it DOES mean, is that the Lord will help, He will bless, He will give you more than you need, He will get you there. And eventually, your nets will break for all the happiest of reasons. You will receive this blessing of marriage. But don’t think that the blessings only accompany marriage… blessings come before, during, and after marriage when you have faith.

Next story, Mark 9:17. And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit… 22. …If thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us. 23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.



This man is in a tough situation. How would he feel? He knows his faith isn’t perfect but I don’t know if this situation could be more important to this man. All of his heart and mind and might is in this one request. He is considering his future and the future of someone he loves more than life. He approaches Christ, meekly, humbly. And Christ said, “If you can muster belief, I can help you and miracles can happen.” I relate to this man!! Getting married is one of the most important things in my life, perhaps THE most important thing.  It is painful situation and I’ve experienced disappointments and concerns and sadness. And now I'm approaching Christ, knowing that he’s capable of helping but not sure if my faith is strong enough…

24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; Help thou mine unbelief 27 …Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.

The man admits that he has belief but also that he has doubts and so he implores, “Help me with the things I’m not yet good at doing. Help me with the faith I’m not yet good at embracing. Help me beat the fears and doubts that sometimes overcome me.” We can acknowledge that we aren’t perfect. We can own the fact that we aren’t always good at trusting Christ, especially with dating, a situation extremely important to us. But the fact that we are approaching Him is significant. We are going to His feet in faith and saying, “I trust you enough to ask for help.”

And then what does He do? What is His response? How will He treat me and my imperfect belief? He blesses me. He helps. He heals. He strengthens. He changes. He fixes. He enlivens. He fulfills promises. 

To those who believe but wish their belief to be strengthened, I urge you to walk in faith and trust in God. Spiritual knowledge always requires an exercise of faith. We acquire a testimony of the principles of the gospel by obediently trying to live them. Said the Savior, “If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine.” A testimony of the efficacy of prayer comes through humble and sincere prayer. A testimony of tithing comes by paying tithing. Do not let your private doubts separate you from the divine source of knowledge. Prayerfully go forward, humbly seeking eternal light, and your unbelief will be dispelled. I testify that if you continue in the purposeful process of searching for and accepting spiritual light, truth, and knowledge, it will surely come. By going forward in faith, you will find that your faith will increase. Like a good seed, if it is not cast out by your unbelief, it will swell within your breast.  
-President James E. Faust- "Lord I Believe- Help Thou Mine Unbelief"
My heart weeps for the sisters who haven’t had the opportunity to marry. Some of you may feel lonely and unappreciated and cannot see how it will be possible for you to have the blessings of marriage and children or your own family. All things are possible to the Lord, and He keeps the promises He inspires His prophets to declare. Have faith in those promises and live to be worthy of then so that in His time the Lord can make them come true in your life. With certainty, you will receive every promised blessing for which you are worthy.”  
-Elder Richard G. Scott- "The Eternal Blessings of Marriage"

No comments: