Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The end is in sight...

I am taking my last BYU class.

Woohoo.

Gogogojoseph.

Yes, that last one has become my new favorite exclamatory phrase.

Try saying it. Gogogojoseph. Fun, isn't it?

My last class is Psychological Statistics. I know... what the heck does that have to do with English or Italian?

a. nothing
b. absolutely nothing
c. truly absolutely nothing
d. really really truly absolutely nothing
e. we should send Lizzie chocolate

If you answered f. all of the above then you win the prize of getting to read the rest of this post, you lucky duck you.

This class is only 7 weeks long. 7 weeks until I finally get that diploma. Truthfully, I've been done with my major for over a year now. There was just this one class. One rotten class that I had to take. My mind doesn't care about school anymore unfortunately. Quite a shame. My mind is in "I already have a great full-time job with a salary and benefits and a parking pass so why on earth am I back at BYU" mode and so I am having a hard time fooooooccccccuuuuuusssssssiiiiiiinnnnnnngggg.

My professor is interesting though. He swore on the syllabus, which made me like him a little more. He doesn't like BYU and thinks the honor code is kind of weird but he likes the church and he likes the students at BYU so he is here. He asked us the first day of class if anyone wanted to follow him on Twitter. We all stared at him blankly. The crickets, recognizing their silent cue, chirped.

"Are any of you on Twitter?"

The crickets chirped louder, thrilled to finally have the spotlight.

"Weird," he replied. "That's kind of weird."


Not really, you're kind of weird though, my head thought.

Other things I've discovered about my professor: he enunciates his words a loT (especially those "t"s), about every 15 minutes he exclaims with an uncomfortable smile how quiet we all are, sometimes he doesn't know the answers to questions and looks to the TA to explain, when he does explain things he says "Does that make sense or are you totally confused now?" and he's a pretty nice guy who really likes chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

He also shot himself in the foot the first day by saying, "I'm not making much sense to you. Can anyone else explain this in a different way with different words than the words I'm using so this will make sense to you?"Since then he's made many a blunder. He's obviously a newer Professor and often talks himself into corners. We all wait patiently until he makes his 16-point-turn on his way out of there. This is only his 2nd semester teaching and he's not much older than we are. We (most of us at least) try to give him the respect he deserves because he has a PhD and we don't even have our BA so... yep.

He does sometimes say funny things like this: "The U.S. is ranked #1 in the infant mortality rate in America..." Insert awkward pause here. "Wait, ummm, no..."

I'm making him sound incompetent and he's not. In fact he's very smart. I am just glad to have a teacher for my last class that is a little fresher, a little more daring, and a little less difficult. Unfortunately I am kind of tuning him out right now on accident because he keeps saying a bunch of numbers and numbers in my brain all round up to boredom. 

ERGO...

numbers 
+ Lizzie 
- sleep 
+ computer 
- coin flipping ability
/ the square root of a potato 
+ genetics
x Dumbledore 
- allergies 
+ 16 point turns
= the placebo effect  
=lurking variable
=your Mom 
=gogogojoseph
= Whatever, I don't care anymore. Go away.

1 comment:

Shelli Snyder said...

You are hilarious, my friend.