Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why Italy Is Hilarious: Part 1

So... I love Italy. I do. I always will. I love Italy for a lot of different reasons which I could spend a long time explaining to you but I won't do that. Nope. Not today. Today, I will elaborate on one of the many reasons that I love Italy.

Italy is hilarious.

Yep, hilarious. Italy is hilarious, Italians are hilarious, Italian history is hilarious, Italian culture is hilarious, Italian tradition is hilarious.

Example of the hilarity: I served in Prato (between Florence and Pisa) for a long time. Prato is a funny little city with really old buildings and a castle. A few times a year, they have this ceremony that not very many people go to. They have a little parade (I'm talking maybe 10 people tops) and they walk really slowly to the center of the city. Then they go to the top of the Duomo (the town's Cathedral) and trumpeters trumpet in their official Italian Medieval garb... like so...

And then they bring out this old belt called La Sacra Cintola (The Holy Belt) that they are absolutely certain belonged to the Mother Mary. And then they show it... like so...
And that's it. Then they go back inside.

Well, where did they get Mary's belt? In the 11th century they got it as a gift from a local merchant who got it from the dowry of the Palestinian woman he married, of course. And what do they do with the belt when it isn't being shown? It is kept in the Pulpit of the Sacred Girdle which is housed in the Chapel of the Sacred Girdle, naturally. Wait, so they built an entire church in honor of a belt? Yes. Perhaps you can see why Italy became the fashion rule-makers of the world.And how do they know it was Mary's belt? Because they just do, okay?

Stay tuned. I will occasionally be updating you with more "reasons Italy is hilarious" stories.

2 comments:

Heidi Jones said...

U R Phunny.....

Em said...

oh, i really want to go eat a pizza from cinque terra or rome right about now.... lets go.

and p.s. i really really think that you should put the picture of you that i have on my blog as your "this is my face" picture. pleeeease.