I like them. Right now I'm reading the following:
Non-fiction: Every Other Monday by John Kasich
Religious: Hope In Our Hearts by Elder Russell M. Nelson
Fiction: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Re-reading: Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
Next on list: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (I've heard good things... I might get this one on Audible.com though instead of reading it)
Top 5 Recommendations (for today at least) from my list on goodreads:
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: It’s a simple story... not overdone, not over dramatized. It is authentic and is essentially about an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a hidden Jewish fighter, and juvenile thievery. It's Liesel's story about how life took everything away from her so she decided to steal something back. Death is the narrator (genius) and the story will touch you in a way I can't describe.
The Giver by Lois Lowry: Jonas lives in a community where everything is controlled, monitored, and predictable. This is the story about how he realizes that experience, memory, and life are far more important than the order and the protection that the society he lives in values so much. Though it was written for young adults, it is in my opinion one of the most pertinent and incredible books written, period.
Crossing the Unknown Sea by David Whyte: The man write poetry like it's prose and writes prose like it's poetry. He essentially lived like a pirate for a while, studied as a marine biologist, and now quotes classical literature like it's no biggie. He's a genius. The book has a great balance of poetry and practicality and Whyte talks about how to develop a deep connection to our work (meaning careers) by connecting it to our life's work (meaning our purpose). You can't read this in one sitting because one paragraph will supply thoughts for days.
If Thou Endure It Well by Neal A. Maxwell: If I read this book with a highlighter, the whole thing would be bright yellow. Elder Maxwell has a way of using words in a way that makes absolute sense in my mind so I decided to read one of his books... and this one couldn't have been more instructive and enlightening. Beautifully written, absolutely incredible.
All 7 of the Harry Potter Books. There is no excuse for not reading these books. None at all (coughMOMcough) so just go buy them and read them all right now. I'm serious. I love few things more than Harry Potter.
5 comments:
I recommend The Book of Mormon. It's a pretty good read. Lots of good guys, bad guys and loaded with intrigue. Get's a little dry in a few spots, but overall it's a riviting story. Check it out. (I don't think it's on Oprah's list, but not sure.)
Wow, thanks Dad. I'll look into it... sounds like a cool story.
hey Lizzie you probably do not know me. I am Briana married to Jon Williams, friend of Jonesy (Danny) Anyway I love your blog and I must tell you to buy Hunger Games it is amazing and you might as well buy Catching Fire right along with it. I promise you will want to dive in as soon as you finish Hunger Games. Just so you know I think you would agree mostly because I read your book list and agree with your book choices (at least the ones I have read) and am looking forward to some new books. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep writing it is so entertaining.
I second what Briana said about Hunger Games....off to find you on Good Reads!
Ok, I have no idea how to find you. You find me...scrmbld@hotmail.com
Post a Comment