Dave turned 29 yesterday. When I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday, he got the biggest grin on his face. This is why:
Out of all of the things he could have done on his birthday, he wanted an inflatable boxing ring with boxing gloves that go to your armpits. He, Dallas, Danny and his brother Brian pummeled each other for close to three hours while Nicole, Codi and I watched in confusion.
We talked about what color Nicole wanted to paint her new cabinets and what kind of kitchen table Codi wanted to buy for her and Brian's new apartment.
They hollered like school children as Dave and Danny chased an un-gloved Brian around the yard.
We talked about baby showers and what kind of flowers would look best in the front of Nicole's house.
They spent a good hour trying to jump high enough that they bounced out of the ring.
We listened to Nicole's stories about teaching Kindergarten while I held her baby.
They laughed uncontrollably as Danny, Brian and Dallas pinned Dave in a corner and wailed on him until they were all soaking wet with sweat.
We drank juice and talked about where to get the best deals on frozen chicken.
They tried to perfect the best way to launch Brian over the side of the ring while Dallas tried to catch him from the inside.
Turns out... men and women are very different.
And for the record, I did enter the ring once. I boxed Dave once he was sufficiently worn out from all the activities listed above... I leveled him with one punch. It was thrilling.

No comments:
Post a Comment