Thursday, August 28, 2008

Argument


I was tired. When I'm tired on campus, my survival instincts kick in and I instantly search desperately for a place to take a nap. My preference is the plethora of leather chairs in the library on the 3rd floor but I was
really tired and didn't think I would make it so I looked around the H-FAC, noting that I had a good 2 hours to kill before my next class, and found a small room that was filled with promising looking furnishings and was separated from the noisy lobby by a thick pane of glass. I darted for the room and collapsed into one of the stuffed chairs and almost instantly fell asleep. 

Not long after, I awoke with a start surprised to hear angry voices. You know that confused and muddled state you're in upon waking from a nap? I cast my bleary eyes around the room, looking for the source of the ruckus that had pulled me out of my doze. Directly in front of me were two very upset individuals who were anxiously engaged in an argument. Fists were clenched, teeth gritted, voices raised. They didn't seem to notice their drowsy and confuddled audience member looking on with a facial expression of annoyance mingled with curiosity. 

"You always forget, Dad! Always!" she yelled. Her hot pink capris matched not only her hot pink shirt and her hot pink hair ribbon and the hot pink pin stripes in her black jacket but also her hot pink-colored lips, which at the moment were pursed.

"It isn't exactly easy with your mom gone! Cut me some slack, Ellen!" He looked like a tired father should: receding hairline with tufts of gray showing at his temples, dark circles under his eyes, hunched shoulders, a round belly, and wrinkles etched into his face by his eyes and mouth. I noticed the lack of a wedding ring, signifying a possible divorcee or widower.

"It's been on the calendar for months!"

"Well I'm sorry that the fact that I have to work for a house payment has inconvenienced you so much! I can't come. I'm sorry!" He sounded more exasperated than sorry. Ellen shook her ribboned head, irate. Spitting out a few stuttered syllables, she glared her worst, spun on her heel, and stamped out of the room. He ran after her screaming her name. 

I was fully awake now. I looked around to see if anyone else had shared my discomfort in accidentally intruding on a family moment, but I was very much alone in the room. As I blinked, trying to process what had just happened, I saw Ellen coming back in the room. She was followed closely by her father. I panicked, looking for a place to hide or a door I could slip out of. Unfortunately, they were currently at the only door I could exit from. I didn't want them to realize that I had been sitting there the whole time. And then I realized a crucial detail.

They were both smiling wide. 

Thinking that surely I was on Candid Camera or involved in some strange research project for a sociology class, I tried to look as nonchalant as possible. They seemed involved in conversation and I caught the end of what Ellen's father was saying as he pulled the glass door open and they entered.

"... yeah, but it went better this time. I like what you did at the end there with the stammering."

"Was that okay do you think? It's not too much?"

"No, it's good. Ellen is supposed to be angry. I like it. Let's try it again."

Once I came to my senses, I had to smile. As I gathered my things to go, I mentally applauded the BYU dramatic program. 

1 comment:

Emily said...

When you publish your first novel I call getting a first edition.