Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fall has fallen! Fell? Falled. No, fall has felled. Um... IT'S FALL!


I guess autumn doesn't have a catchphrase like spring. I wanted to say the fall version of "spring has sprung" but I might have failed miserably. The point is that evidences that trials* do in fact come to a close are all around us. (*Summer does end.) Changing leaves, cooling weather, sweaters and boots and scarves making appearances... it's beautiful. They're selling pumpkin candles and hot chocolate again. Christmas music is not far from being widely accepted (though it is always acceptable in my opinion, much to the chagrin of my mother) and I'm even making plans to get the days around Thanksgiving off, which means that Thanksgiving is close enough that I can do so. The sky is occasionally cloudy, there is rain in the forecast for this conference weekend and I, along with my whole family, am heading up to the cabin where the temperature is a perfect 57 degress. I can wear my flannel pajamas and fuzzy socks and sip soup and sit in front of the fire.

I am a strange individual in that I borderline despise the summer. Not the idea of summer per se but the weather. Call me crazy or you will but ever since I was a little girl, I have always loved the cold. I ache for rainy days, I delight at the thought of snow and when either is promised by the weatherman, I tend to rise out of bed grumpy if I see even a trace of sunshine. I just hate hot weather. Spring isn't as bad (though spring tends to attack me with terrible allergies) but basically I lament the end of winter and rejoice at the close of summer.

Thus the remodeling of this here blog. A Christmas background will appear most likely before Thanksgiving. What can I say? I'm a Christmas baby... it's in my blood. The picture at the top of the blog behind the title, by the way, is of a beautifully beaten path in Rome during autumn. Lovely.

Today has been a good day. I...
  • ate an amazing nectarine for breakfast
  • aced a tough British Literary History exam
  • got a lot of homework done
  • had great day at work
  • figured out more what to do with my future
  • talked to a very good missionary friend that I had lost contact with over a year ago who told me he plans on visiting soon
  • got a letter from a beloved Italian member
  • found out that you can change your facebook language to Pirate English
  • watched a hilarious youtube video of Harry Potter meets the Office courtesy of Mel
  • made a wonderful salad for dinner
  • rode my bike everywhere
  • got a voicemail from my mom
Good day.

So the real question is... the new background... I designed(ish) it.... you like?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

big fan of the roman path photo. big huge.

and i'm thinking the phrase "fall has flung" is the new replacement for "spring has sprung". what think ye?

Brad and Erica said...

I love the new background, I LOVE the picture of the sidewalk in Rome, I love fall, and I love you! I wish that we could see each other and you could play with Annika. When are you coming out to visit?

Andrea Sheets said...

I love the background. Now could you do something with mine??? Please???

anoyce said...

I'm with you! I've been counting down to Christmas for about a month now! (Shh! Don't tell! I even listened to Christmas music a couple of Sundays ago! Just a few songs!)

Lizzie Jones said...

How can you fling fall? I think I'd like to try. Sounds like a good game. My friend growing up Katherine had a plate in her huge house from the ming dynasty that was worth $10,000. We used to tease her and ask if we could play frisbee with it. We called it "fling the ming".