I've had a lot of heroes in my lifetime. They've been people that I admire and love, people that I've learned from and people who I aspire to be like. These examples are an irreplaceable part of my life. I've had one in particular on my mind today and I'd like to write a bit about her, which hopefully won't embarrass her.

I met Erica (Lamb) Holland in January of 2005. We had both signed up to go on a hiking study abroad in the British Isles. I remember meeting her in our prep class and thinking, "I could definitely be friends with this girl..." Our first night in Edinburgh Scotland, we were assigned as "bed buddies" and were friends ever since. We had many a night laughing until we groaned in pain. We made up ridiculous stories and we walked and acted out scenes from movies or books. We told each other silly jokes and stories of funny things we'd done. We were virtually inseparable throughout our time in England, Scotland, and Wales. She is one of the greatest friends I have ever had. She entered my life at a time when I really needed a good friend to listen to me and to love me. We got home and she finished her wedding plans. I remember sitting at her wedding reception and watching her a Brad dancing and thinking "Someday I want to have a marriage like Brad and Erica's." Both amazing people, both rock solid, both great examples. We kept in good contact over the next few years. When I got home from my mission, she was the second person to call me and the first to come visit me. She introduced me to the office. When she called a few months late to tell me she was pregnant, I was ecstatic. Now she has a beautiful little family.
But Erica isn't my hero just because she is a good friend, has a great marriage, beautiful baby, or even because she showed me the first episode I've ever seen of the Office. Erica is my hero because she is amazing. She is strong. She is happy. And her life, just like every one else's, is not always easy. She had to say goodbye to Brad for 15 months as he went to serve our country in Iraq. She is raising her daughter (kind of on her own right now) on the other side of the world.
She and her baby Annika are over in Germany on an army base far away from family and friends and far away from her husband. So I guess when I say that she is my hero, what I really mean is that I have three heros: Erica, Brad, and their daughter Annika. But let's talk about Erica for now.
I admire Erica for her optimism... like when we used to wake up early in the morning in a hostel in England and she'd stick her head down from the top bunk ready to take on the day full of hiking (and getting lost)
.

She approaches everything with a good attitude, even when sometimes the situation would allow for a little bit of grumpiness. She never complains. She always looks for the good in life. When I hear from her, she tells about all the things she's seen, all the blessings she has, and how much she loves her life. She is always grateful, always positive, and always kind. She rejoices over the arrival of a long-awaited stroller, she finds pleasure in the babbling of her little baby, and she attributes it all to her Heavenly Father. I am so impressed by her optimism.
Along with that, I appreciate her for her spiritual strength, symbolized in this picture. 

She's stayed so close to the Lord. She is a constant example to me of what it means to have a testimony. She relies on God and on her hope to add to her faith in her daily life. She talks of lessons learned at church and in her calling. She remarks on the blessing of having living prophets. She speaks of her reliance on prayer. She turns to the scriptures. With this optimism and spiritual strength, she is able to teach her daughter to be like this.

While we were in England, Erica and I together conquered many a mountain. We hiked virtually everywhere we went and sometimes it could get tiring. It was oftentimes difficult and draining. Sometimes we'd get a little lost, a little injured, or a little weather-beaten. But we kept going, usually singing stupid songs or quoting movies or having meaningful talks as we went. She never gave up on me. She constantly went forward with this same optimism and spiritual strength. I love the picture below of me and Erica- we look rather statuesque in my opinion.
Now I watch this dear friend of mine conquering other mountains. They are probably even more difficult than the ones we hiked in England and probably more draining and yet she still presses on. She summits these peaks beautifully and respectfully. She's classy. She scrambles to the top, seemingly anxious to look back at the path she's walked and remember the triumph of completing something hard. She encourages others along the way. She fights to the top. And in so doing, she inspires me greatly. She makes me want to follow in the same manner.
Her daughter Annika could not be learning from a better source. John Mayer just came on my playlist- he's singing the song "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty and I think the first line applies to little Anni. "She's a good girl, loves her Mama. Loves Jesus and America too." The sacrifices that this faithful and obedient family make for us, for our country, and for the Lord are great. Here's Anni talking to her daddy on the computer.

I've been a little concerned lately about the future. The world seems so dark and confused. I worry about eventually raising children amongst so much hatred and filth. But today I was thinking about when Erica got to visit this summer for a little bit and I got to hold Annika. I saw so much of both of her parents in her cute little sleeping face (she's got her mom's smile, her dad's cheeks) and knowing that these are the people that are going to be raising her, teaching her to be happy, helping her gain a testimony of her own, and showing her how to conquer difficulties... this gives me more hope for the future than anything else. I'm so grateful today for people in my life, like Erica and Brad and Annika, who teach me (primarily by stellar and silent examples) how to be better. I admire all of those whose loved ones are gone from them for a time as they serve our country or the church. I admire anyone who can tackle the difficulties of life with optimism and spiritual strength.
So, Erica. I stole some pictures off your blog. And then I decided to do a blog about you. Please don't be mad at me for either of those things. :) I miss you, I'm praying for you, and I thank you and your family for being three of my greatest examples and heros. I love you guys very much and look forward to seeing you soon.
2 comments:
Awww... and I get the first comment too! You are welcome to steal pictures off my blog anytime, and you made me cry saying such nice things about me and my family. (Not as hard as you cried after watching Death of a Salesman, but that is hard to beat.) When I saw the picture of me hanging over the bunk-bed I thought "If Lizzie puts up that picture of me in the cave where I look like I just had a baby, or I just was a baby... I am going to kill her!" Thank you for not including it. :-) I am coming back to the states for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Where are you going to be? I guess if we don't see each other then, it means you are definitely going to have to come out here! I miss you.
Lizzie,
What a sweet blog. I would love to meet your friend. Oh. . . and by the way. . . since when do I have to get my Lizzie gossip from Grandpa Gary? And how reliable is he?
Post a Comment