
More serious musing for today.
I was sitting on a bus in southwest Rome with a black nametag on my chest that identified me as a servant of Christ. I was to speak as He would speak, think as He would think, act as He would act. I was involved in teaching everyone around me about their potential. I bore testimony motivated by love for the people among whom I lived. Yet I sat across from a young gypsy girl and found that distain and criticism were both in my head and in my heart. I wrinkled my nose at her smell. I eyed the sleeping baby in her arms and wondered if it was actually hers or if she was a stereotypical "baby stealer" I had heard about. Pulling my bag closer to me, I watched her hands, worried she’d try to steal from me. I didn’t know her name, I didn’t know her background, but I knew she was a gypsy. I identified myself in one way and yet I chose someone else’s identity for them. In my subjective mind, I decided what was truth and what was error. In my mind, I was living up to the identity connected with that missionary badge. In my mind, she was dishonest. In hindsight, I realize that both assessments were false.
"I think [this dream of mine] summarizes the meaning of my entire life. I am the head of an airport. […] A big plane has touched down and in my capacity of airport boss I go to passport control. All passengers from the plane are there before me, waiting in line with their passports. I suddenly behold a strange figure: an ancient Chinese, dressed in rags yet regal, emitting a horrible stink. He is waiting to enter.
He stands in confrontation, uttering not a word. He doesn't even raise his eyes, totally absorbed in himself. I cast a look at the plate on my desk, certifying that I am the one in charge. But I don't know what to do. I am afraid to let him enter, as he is so different from everybody and I don't understand him. I am terribly afraid that if I let him in, he will upset my conventional life. I start to apologise then, lying and laying bare my own weakness.
I am lying as children lie. I can't bring myself to accept responsibility. I say: 'You see I am not authorized. Actually, it isn't I who is the boss. I've got to ask the others.' And my head hangs with shame. I then add: 'Wait a moment, I'll be back.'
I go away to make a decision that I am never to make. I go on vacillating and all the time I wonder whether he'll be there still when I return. But the worst is that I am not sure whether I am more afraid to find him there, or find him gone. Thirty years since, I am still pondering this dream. I fully understand that something had been wrong with my nose and not with his smell; yet I can not bring myself to go back and let him enter, nor learn whether he is there still, waiting."
4 comments:
I would really really like to read your paper if possible.
Thanks for your well-expressed insights. Is your paper published somewhere we can read it? I'll click on the link to check out the shortened version. I came across "gypsies" in France once and the experience was pretty bad. But now that I look back on it, they probably weren't even gypsies. My husband, who served there, said from how I described them they were probably of Arabic decent but in my mind, they had dark skin and caused us trouble so they were "gypsies." I'm glad you had the courage to tackle a touchy subject.
I'm proud of you my dear. We can't claim to be Heavenly Father's children until we begin to see each other as brothers and sisters. Even gypsies, even convicts. Love you.
Way to go. Thanks for taking cruel, unfair assumptions and seeking for what is the truth underlying them. That is exactly what we always asked people to do as missionaries...not make their decision about what mormons are based on the things they had heard or been told, but to really learn from us the truth of who we are. It's only fair that we give other people that opportunity.
Post a Comment