Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mailmen


This is funny. I was up in Salt Lake the other day talking to my sister Kathy in our living room when she saw the mailman coming. She got excited and jumped up to get the mail but ended up waiting at the door, peering out the window to see if the mailman was still there. He was taking a little more time than usual so she slunk around the couch and waited for him to leave. She made sure he was at least a house away and then hurried and opened the door, grabbed the contents of the mailbox, and scurried inside. I've realized that we all do this to some extent. It's like we don't want any personal contact with the person who brings us the mail. It would be so strange for many of us to open the door and have him put it right in your hand. That's the whole reason we have a mailbox. It's like we feel guilty that we're too lazy to go pick up our own mail and so we don't want to even acknowledge the people that do these mundane tasks for us. Next time I see a mailman, I'm going to go give him a big hug and a sloppy kiss on his cheek to thank him for his dedication.

No comments: