Monday, February 7, 2011

Boom, I can see!

Here are the peepers. Look any different to you? You look different to them... because they can actually see you now. 
Brian Regan talks about people who say they only need glasses when they drive.

"What does that mean? Like you get out of the car... *BOOM* 'I can see! It's beautiful!' If you only need glasses when you drive, why not drive with a prescription windshield?"

I quoted Brian Regan as I walked out of Lasik Plus on Thursday. "BOOM! I can see! It's beautiful!"

Yep, got Lasik. Wow. What a big event in my life. Every since I was in 3rd grade I've needed glasses and my eyes have gotten progressively worse for years. My prescription as of last Thursday morning was -5.5 in my right eye and -5.75 in my left. For those of you who need contacts, you'll understand that those numbers translate to BAD. I was pretty much useless without contacts or glasses. I get terrible allergies in the spring which usually prevent me from wearing contacts due to itchy and watery eyes so I wear my glasses for a month straight. There are many things that you can't do quite as well with a fatty pair of frames on your face (i.e. anything remotely athletic or fun) and I dread the spring time every year as a result. My roommate Kirsti got Lasik over the summer and had a really positive experience (she called it "life changing" and "the best investment" she's ever made) so I decided that this year was my year.

$3,400 later, I can see! It is pretty surreal. The surgery itself was surprisingly quick and the outcome is amazing. I could for the first time in nearly 20 years read the sign of the building by my dad's car as we walked out.

This was the first thing in 19 years that I could read with my own eyes sans glasses/ contacts .


They gave me a valium to calm me down, it wasn't especially painful, and already a mere 4 days after, I have no lasting side-effects besides perfect vision. My eyes are a tad dry, which is to be expected, and I have to be careful to not rub my eyes but other than that, life has gone on normally. It takes some getting used to though in that I keep thinking I need to take out my contacts to go to bed or I need to pack my glasses for a trip.

Science is amazing.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I heard getting Lasik feels like someone had rubbed dirt into your eyes for about a week. Glad it's not so bad for you. (Though maybe the valium is to thank...) Anyway, congrats!

(Alternate blog comment: You are so lucky to have glasses- WHY would you EVER do ANYTHING to get RID of them?!??!?)

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I cannot even imagine being able to see. My perscription is right about where yours is...or I guess I should say was. I want to get lasik so bad...and someday I will. So happy it went well for you!