Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Lawanna and Race For The Cure
Seriously, isn't she just a gorgeous girl? She has the best smile. I've mentioned Lawanna several times before but really talked a bit about her and her story here and here. Lawanna has become such an important part of my life this year. I met her back in July and I loved her very quickly and very deeply. The way I feel about Lawanna is very similar to how I feel about family and people from my mission: this devoted and loyal love that will never change no matter what happens.
Lawanna has stage 4 breast cancer. She's been fighting this battle for a while now. She's 29 and has more life and energy than just about anyone I know. She's from the deep south (Arkansas) and I love everything she says. She's hilarious.Seriously HILARIOUS. Some favorite Lawanna quotes:
(When you're leaving) "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya."
(When you try to brag about something) "What do you want, a cookie?"
(When you dance) "Come on girl, try to get on beat! Just try!"
(When you say something ridiculous) "Girl, stop" or "Girl, please."
(When she found a mouse in her basement and called the Bishop) "Bishop, there is a MICE in my house!"
(When you say something dumb) "Girl, I... I... I about to curse!"
Other great ones:
"Listen, I know Heavenly Father say we need to be Christlike and all but I know He also say 'Girl, don't you be no fool'... so I nice but I don't take no crap from nobody."
She doesn't just say funny things, she also says some pretty profound things and powerful things. She expresses herself really well especially when she's talking about how important the gospel is. She is a very Christlike person and has such a big heart. She looks out for people that a lot of people look over and pick on and she reaches out to people that don't have anyone else. She told us on Sunday about how she'd go watch "Little House on the Prairie" with May, this sweet old lady without any family or children. She didn't want May to be alone.
Lawanna is the best cook I know. She make these amazing meals for a bunch of people in the neighborhood. Barbeque ribs, homemade macaroni and cheese, amazing meatloaf, chicken spaghetti, corn bread, fried chicken, pies, cakes and any kind of southern food you can think of. Also, this girl can dance. She's breaks it down better than just about anyone. She throws the best parties in the world.
Lawanna means a great deal to me and to my family. She is out here by herself from Arkansas away from her home and those she loves from Arkansas. It isn't easy living in a different place. When she joined the church 4 years ago, she decided to move to Utah. I can promise you that while she's been here, she's blessed the lives of thousands of people. I mean that literally... thousands. She works with missionaries at the MTC. She blesses people in our ward on a daily basis. She speaks to crowds of people about her conversion story. She supports anyone and everyone with the hard things they are going through. And she does it all without family support. This is a time for her to feel support from the people that love her most. We are going to Racing for the Cure on her team and she has a goal of raising $3,000. I want to help her. Please go to her Team Page and check it out. Come and do a 5K run or 1 mile walk with us on Saturday May 7th to support Lawanna and everyone else that is struggling with cancer right now. If you'd like to join or donate to Lawanna's team, please feel free. You don't have to show up for the race, you can just register or donate and all proceeds go to cancer research so that we can help people like Lawanna beat this disease. You don't need to know Lawanna, all you need to know is her story. She is one of the best people that I know and she has a desire to help other people with cancer. I want to do whatever I can to help her accomplish this goal and give her the energy she needs to keep fighting and keep going. Every little bit helps.
I love Lawanna. You should too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I'm in
Wow! She sounds hella awesome.
Post a Comment