A hero.
One hero.
I can't think of just one. I have had such a difficult time trying to justify one hero that, again, I have postponed posting. My first instinct was to put my Mom. She's definitely a hero. Or my Dad. Big hero. Next I thought of Sister Rhien, my mission president's wife. Or President Rhien would be up there. I thought of Nate Checketts, my MTC teacher that has forever influenced my life and probably doesn't realize how much of an impact he had on a 21 year old. I thought of my sister Kathy serving in the Ukraine, other family members that do amazing things every day. My Grandma Kathy would definitely be one of my big heros. My Grandma Di and Grandma Jones too. Both Grandpas. I thought of Abinadi, who I'm convinced must have been my neighbor in the Spirit World because I've felt this amazing connection to his story ever since I was a tiny thing. I think about some of the writers I've studied, some of the historical figures I've thought about. I've thought about people who have made an influence on me in mere seconds, like Fraser and the boy on the metro.
But none of these seemed to take. I couldn't write about one without failing to write about another. I have so many people in my life that have influenced me so much and I can't pick just one.
In desperation, I googled "Lizzie's hero" to see if magically google and my psyche would collaborate and help me out. While doing this, I began to laugh out loud as I remembered the night about a year ago when Joe and Bouch and Bob and I were all lying on the floor in my apartment yelling things into our cellphones and laughing hysterically. We had been talking about the uncertainty of the future as we looked towards job hunts, eventual marriages, career choices, and all those other things we're trying to figure out. We decided to employ the voice activation dialing system to predict our futures. Bob would push the voice recognition button and then once the woman's automated voice asked "Who would you like to call?" he'd yell "My future wife!" then we'd all pause with stifled laughter as we waited for what the Automated Lady would think Bob said. "Calling... Misty Fife." There you had it. Bob found his wife. Joe would ask the Automated Lady to call his "truest friend!" "Calling... Trudy Freeman." Bouch would ask to call his "future employer" and Automated Lady would tell us that Bouch needed to get in contact with Joe Boyer, which of course Joe loved to hear.
But I digress... (which, by the way, will probably be the title of my next blog)
So I did it. I turned to google. "Who is Lizzie's Hero?" I asked my google friends. They didn't answer my question, but they did point me to a girl on Facebook named Lizzie Hero. I almost made Lizzie Hero my hero until I thought of appealing to my old friend, YouTube. And I found this amazing gem.
My dad's church calling right now is working at the jail to help the inmates with their spirituality, which is really awesome. But I think if he did something like this, it'd be more awesome.
What's that you say? You'd like to see the inmates dance to more songs? Ummmm, OKAY!!
How about them doing a medley of Soulja Boy and M.C. Hammer's "Can't Touch This"?
Or maybe an awesome rendition of MJ's Thriller?
What about Jump by the Pointer Sisters?
My hero is whomever came up with this idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment