Saturday, February 6, 2010

day 13- a fictional book

The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas

I love this book. I love the movie, even though it is different than the book. But I really love the book. Mostly because of the show Wishbone, which is why I love most books.

This is Wishbone dressed up like Robin Hood, my all time favorite character. I wish we could find Wishbone episodes online or get the DVD set but I can't find a single one. That show was genius.

You know what books I can't for the life of me get interested in? Books that are a series of letters sent back and forth to people or books that are a series of journal entries. For example, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. First of all, what kind of name is that? Forever long, I can hardly remember it, and it makes me bored. I started reading it this summer because it was so talked up and couldn't get into it so I stopped reading. I still went to the book club lunch for it because I wanted to go to lunch and I did pretty great at listening to the conversation and pretending like I knew what they were saying. I even brought the book and opened to a random page then, after skimming it, asking a thoughtful question that prompted a good twenty minutes of discussion. Felt pretty pleased. But I didn't like the book.

I like books with real characters that are believable. Which is exactly why I haven't read, don't plan on reading, and really can't stand mention of the Twilight books. Now ladies, put down your torches and pitchforks and don't hang me just yet. I haven't read them which makes me unfit for comment, right? Wrong. I have read enough reviews from respected readers to make me believe they are not the stuff for me. I hope you can accept that. If you can't, that is okay. I simply cannot tolerate the thought of people not reading the Harry Potter series. We each deal with our different set of injustices.

Now a list of books or series I thoroughly enjoyed as a child:

  • The Giver
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
  • The Westing Game
  • Jacob Have I Loved
  • The Crown Duel
  • The Court Duel
  • Matilda
  • A Little Princess
  • Little Women
  • Where the Red Fern Grows
  • Mrs. Pigglewiggle books
  • Boxcar Children Mysteries
  • Ramona and Beezus books
  • Island of the Blue Dolphins
  • Witch of Blackbird Pond
  • Chronicles of Narnia
  • American Girl books
  • Number the Stars
  • Walk Two Moons

I could go on and on... now do you understand why I wrote this earlier post about a year ago?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You didn't like GLAPPPS? (That's what I call it- I think it's a better title than the original, personally.) I thought it was most excellent, and the characters were my favorite part. To each his own, I suppose.

Heidi Jones said...

Um.... we are stuck on day 13....please refresh for your fans!