Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 26- a recipe

Recipe is a really hard word for me to spell, mostly because I look at it and think it is just kidding.

But anyway, Em Johnson that lives in New York asked me a while back for the recipe for the chicken broccoli casserole from this post and I figured that I should let her have it because she just found out she's having triplets and all. (Go ahead, take a moment and let your jaws drop and talk amongst yourselves about how awesome she is... oh, and she already has a two year old... yeah, she's basically the coolest person you've heard of... so maybe you should send her money and chocolates and prayers...) So Emily, this is for you.


Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

I'm not great at measuring but I am great at tasting so these are my estimates. I cook like an Italian.

4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 large package broccoli, steamed
1 large family size can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayo (I'd go low fat- still tastes good)
1/3 cup evaporated milk (again, low fat still tastes good)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
lemon juice to taste
curry (I like a lot, you might not)
bread crumbs or crushed ritz crackers

Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with cooked chicken and broccoli. Set aside. Combine soup, mayo, evaporated milk, lemon juice, and curry. Taste that. Add the cheese. Taste it again. Add other things that you think will make it taste better (although it'll taste pretty good just like that) and taste again. Cover the chicken and broccoli with sauce mixture. Taste.Cover that with bread crumbs/ crackers. Taste twice. Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown on top. Taste it, but not until it is cool. Serve with rice. Taste continually until gone. Die happy.

Other recipes I like:

  • Take a hot dog bun. Put ketchup on it. Eat it. Do not under any circumstances put a hot dog in said bun. 
  • Take bread. Toast bread. Add butter. Then cinnamon sugar. Eat quickly before anyone asks for a bite. 
  • Maybe open up a box of chocolate cake mix and get a spoon and maybe just eat some of it just like that. Yep, just the mix. Do it. 
  • Open a package of graham crackers. Leave out overnight in a humid climate. Eat them when they are kind of soft. Love your life.
  • Get bananas while they are still greenish. Eat them. Quick quick before they get too yelloooooow!
  • Drink skim milk. Drink more skim milk. Drink more and more skim milk. Drink more skim milk than all of your roommates combined. Go buy more skim milk. Repeat.
  • Get some Martinellis sparkling cider. Put it in the freezer until little snowflake looking things appear inside. Wait ten more minutes then take it out and drink it slushy. Don't leave the bottle in there too long or it will explode and your roommates will get annoyed. If you are in your freshman year and you have already exploded about a dozen Martinellis bottles, your roommates will never let you forget it so be careful. 
  • Make a cheesecake. Give it away because cheesecake is gross. Be happy because you did a good deed and didn't consume any calories.
  • Make cookie dough. Eat cookie dough. The end.

Anyway, yeah. Good stuff. Back to what I was talking about before food: babies.  Erica just had adorable twin girls. Emily is having triplets. Both already have toddlers. They are amazing. Old roommates Jessi and Jenna are pregnant too. So is Meggan. I'm so excited for all of you. Lets go eat food in celebration. Break!

3 comments:

Heidi Jones said...

I knew it was you leaving half eaten chocolate cake mixes in the cupboard... you outed yournself!!!

The hot dog bun thing is just weird and gross.... you've liked them this way since you were way too little to know it's weird and gross!

You make me laugh!

Emily said...

Yaaaaaaaay! I am touched and humbled by the shout out. But mostly excited to try this recipe. Thank you!!

Emily said...

Okay so is it curry powder or curry paste?